Feedback on the QA cycle

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Fri Mar 21 11:08:22 UTC 2014

On 21/03/14 03:48, Bruno Benitez wrote:
> <mailto:pasi at shimmerproject.org>>:
>

>     Social media is not the right place to communicate every single
>     change. We have seen in the past how this can create a lot of
>     negative and even trollish feedback that only distracts the
>     contributors.
>
> I do not mean that all the steps of change be broadcast, what I mean
> is that significant changes we/you consider that is something we want
> feedback from the community as a whole, that we use all the meanings
> of communications that are available to us.

>From my point of view, this is different issue than what you originally
indicated. The original issue is:
    "I feel that some changes weren't publicized enough for the testers
to understand them when they happened"

And I can agree with that. I would like to find ways to keep our testers
and the contributors generally up-to-date with things that are going on
right now, what is about to land, how it potentially impacts other
packages and people and if the testers should do more thorough testing
for a new package. This would help with invalid bug reports as well,
where the change is an expected one, or a new feature, instead of a bug.

For the aforementioned communication, I don't think social media is the
right place.

However, I feel your comment on this last mail is moving towards "how do
we communicate changes to our userbase at large better and get feedback
from them". You are mixing target audiences here; the other target
audience is conrtibutors (specifically testers in this case), the other
one is "all Xubuntu users and people interested in Xubuntu".
Communicating towards the latter audience is important and there is
improvements to be made on that field as well, but as said, it's a
different issue and should have its own thread.

>     I would think this problem would be solved by making sure to keep
>     the team reports up to date and telling testers to keep a track on
>     those, or alternatively, the meeting minutes. This is something we
>     have worked on this cycle. If you have other ideas how to
>     communicate changes that are landing in the development release to
>     testers, please share them with us.
>

> I believe that our website might be used a central point of
> information, even if the wiki is used for keep track of meetings and
> other usual tasks, it might be interesting that the website shows our
> plans, the state of the work and the kind of input we hope from users.
> Then our social mediums can point to a central information hotspot.

I will take this discussion to another thread, and I will explain why in
that thread, as well as why I disagree with this idea.

>     We are doing this on the installer slideshow. Furthermore, we have
>     discussed changing the browser frontpage before but it implies
>     technical (and potentially other) issues we didn't want to face then.
>
> I understand that, but I think the rewards of doing this change while
> the development cycles are running might make it desirable, this might
> be something other flavours are interested on as well.

As Stephen noted in his mail, it involves much more messy parts than it
looks like to be worth. As there is a solution in place currently, it
makes it even less intriguing to face the messy and hard work.

Pursuing this goal further would mean we would have to have a clear
specification with all the packaging and licensing issues laid out along
with solutions for them. We would also need somebody who is willing to
implement this change as well as somebody to maintain it. If you think
think it is worth pursuing this further, start putting up the
specification. I can assist in setting up the infrastructure if you
decide to do so.

> I believe all of the comments i'm making are related to the question
> Elfy proposed, about how to increase reports on the testing cases. My
> intention is not to derail the conversation to other futile
> discussions about personal preferences (mine or otherwise).
>

> --
> Bruno.-

I never said whether your comments were relevant or not; I just said
that if you wanted to discuss X, Y or Z *further*, you should start new
threads for them, because I think those discussions deserve their own
threads, and this thread doesn't deserve to get flooded with borderline
relevant issues.

Cheers,
Pasi