Feedback on desktop convergence changes

Richard Elkins richard.elkins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:50:37 UTC 2014

I'd love to trade in my Samsun Galaxy S-III phone for one which operates
without those bloody commercials!  So, I have a vested interest in Unity
succeeding on a wide variety of tablet and phone hardware.  The current
supported hardware population is clearly insufficient.

My predictions:

  * Unity will die off on the desktops and laptops that employ a
    keyboard and mouse or touchpad; the other *buntu desktops (E.g.
    Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Gnome, KDE) will gradually take up the slack.
    Xubuntu on X.org or Wayland will thrive!
  * Unity will make a go of it on tablets and phones although there is
    nothing yet available for the ordinary user; time will tell HOW well
    and best wishes.

Richard (been absent as I have been busy in other projects)