Introducing myself

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sun Jun 23 17:06:06 UTC 2013

On 22/06/13 10:53, Elfy wrote:
> On 21/06/13 13:12, franz wrote:
>> Hi There,
>>
>> How can I suggest programs to be with Xubuntu? For example I'd text
>> editor Mousepad. The browser is the Google Chrome. The MP3 player is
>> the Audacious.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Franz
>>
> The time for talking about changing default apps for this cycle has
> passed - we need, obviously, to talk about that at the very beginning
> of a cycle.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap
>
> My take on the apps though
>
> Mousepad is the default again
>
> Google Chrome - not for me - though if it gets installed, no big issue
> - I'll just remove it
>
> Audacious - this fails badly for me - the library functions are pretty
> much useless with 40k tracks and 3000 albums - the 'library' add-on
> crashes.
>
> Kev

To read more about selecting default applications and packages for
Xubuntu, read the "Seeds & Composition" -section of our Strategy
Document [1]. If an application passes all checks that are mentioned
under "Unsuitable Packages", it can be considered for inclusion.

If one seriously wants to propose a new application to be included in
addition or instead of something else, they should create a detailed
application comparison based on the guidelines mentioned in the Strategy
Document (generally, and more specifically the aforementioned "Seeds &
Composition" section as well as the areas focus mentioned under "The
Target" [2]).

After one has created the application comparison and it has gone through
some improvements based on the feedback from the team, the team will
then decide if the motion should be carried. Note that this also implies
that there is no guarantee that anything will be included even if a
thorough application comparison was made. The process to actually
include something new can take several cycles. Especially big changes
near an LTS release are most probably going to be at least postponed for
a later cycle.

To respond for the original poster:

1) As said by others, Mousepad is now the default again.

2) The default browser is an important and a prominent feature of an OS.
This doesn't mean it's impossible to change the default, but if someone
wishes to propose the change, I'd expect a very thorough comparison of
pros and cons of both the old and new applications as well as strong
support from the developer community. Moreover, I can't see this change
being introduced before the next LTS (14.04).

3) We have discussed and changed the default media player again and
again in the past. OP: Have you tried gmusicbrowser, which we have had
for a while as the default one now? You might find it suitable for you.

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Seeds_.26_Composition
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#The_Target