[Testing Report 2] Testing XMir on Xubuntu Saucy
Ali Linx (amjjawad)
amjjawad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 17:40:53 UTC 2013
As promised, this is my Testing Report on a Real Hardware. Last report I
sent was on Virtual Machine which is not helpful so hope this is what you
1. Go to http://vanir.unit193.tk/mir/ and Download the ISO - downloaded
via torrent in my case.
2. MD5SUM Checked - Passed.
3. Test was done on this machine: http://phillw.net/hardware/BnA9pw11
4. Media used to install Xubuntu Saucy with MIR is LiveUSB (Sony
MSAC-UAM2 USB Device - 1GB) creating using UNetbootin (latest version - 585
under Windows 7).
5. From Boot Menu, I chose: "Try Xubuntu without Installation"
6. When the Live Desktop showed up, the colors were messed up. When I
tried to take a screenshot and uploaded to facebook from my test machine, I
checked the very same screenshot on my other machine and to my surprise the
picture was Crystal Clear! I can't really explain that. Could it be my
monitor? if so, why all the other systems on the same machine work fine?
there was red color on the background mixed with blue (wallpaper) and
everything is not clear (text and icons). Remember back in the Windows 98
days when you choose 256 colors instead of say 16bit colors? same thing.
7. *Mouse was SO SLOW!*
8. Output of: ps ax | grep system-comp: *root at xubuntu:/home/xubuntu# ps
ax | grep system-comp
1988 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor.sleep
--from-dm-fd 10 --to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
2011 tty7 Ssl+ 0:06 /usr/sbin/unity-system-compositor --from-dm-fd 10
--to-dm-fd 13 --vt 7
2542 ? S 0:00 gksudo xfce4-terminal -x less
2558 ? Ss 0:00 /usr/bin/sudo -H -S -p GNOME_SUDO_PASS -u root --
xfce4-terminal -x less /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log
2566 ? Sl 0:03 xfce4-terminal -x less
2752 pts/0 Ss+ 0:00 less /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log
3053 pts/2 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto system-comp
root at xubuntu:/home/xubuntu#*
10. I decided to install it to check whether the color issue can be
fixed or not.
11. Installation done using "Something else" on /sda7
12. At some points during the installation, the system appeared to be
frozen for few seconds (mouse dead - does not move) specially on Where Are
You Step and Who Are You Step and I guess Keyboard Layout Step as well.
13. Installation Done - Rebooted - Logged in to the main System -
update-grub- rebooted - Logged to Xubuntu
14. The color issue was the same.
15. Mouse was SO slow yet again.
16. That is all for now.
Is there anything specific you want me to try and report back? the color
issue is giving me hard time and hurts my eyes, I can't carry on with test
while everything is messed up :(
*Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> - StartUbuntu
- Linux Brainstorming <https://www.facebook.com/groups/352004991569676/> -
Lubuntu <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu> - Ubuntu
Xubuntu <http://xubuntu.org/> - Peppermint <http://peppermintos.com/about/>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the xubuntu-devel