A few words on Santiago Roland's suggestions

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Sat Dec 1 22:44:00 UTC 2012

On 12/02/2012 12:23 AM, Darshak Parikh wrote:
> Talking about the music player, I agree with you. Gmusicbrowser is light but not as good as Banshee. However, Banshee has been designed for GNOME, and might be tough to implement on Xubuntu. And Banshee doesn't fit the definition of "lightweight". But of course, it would be nice if we could have Audacious instead. What say, people?

The subject of default media players have been raised up for probably
every Xubuntu release for 4 years. The last effort was made last cycle
with the result being that we're probably best off with gmusicbrowser.

To be honest, I think we've reached a point where it simply doesn't make
sense to even start discussing the default media player until after the
next LTS. (Unless a group of more than two people with different
opinions to start with is ready to do a really thorough review and
comparison of many media players, including tests on performance, user
interface, etc.)

So please, do consider twice – or as many times as you can count to with
your fingers – before posting a suggestion for a new default media
player. We've heard it and we've processed it.

Thanks for your understanding,
Pasi