Could use some help on some 12.10 FAQ

Jack Fromm jjfrv8 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 13:02:46 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 10:55 AM, Brian Smith wrote:
> for number 8 - the easiest is to move to the workspace you wish the
> application to start in, then start the application. once the
> application loads, you may move around your workspaces leaving that
> application loaded in the desired workspace.
>
> On 11/28/2012 08:08 PM, Jack Fromm wrote:
>> On 11/28/2012 04:42 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> We're polishing up the last of the FAQ for 12.10 (better late than
>>> never!). Given our time zone distance I keep missing people on IRC and
>>> we could use some help with solutions & wording for the following
>>> questions:
>>>
>>> First #2 doesn't actually have a question, so we need the question
>>> regarding the messaging regression and our explanation as to why/what
>>> happened:
>>>
>>> 2. (regressions [messaging-menu])
>>>
>>> And our Best Practice answers to these:
>>>
>>> 3. I don’t see my sound indicator anymore, how do I get it back?
>>>
>>> 8. How do you start a specific application in specific workspace?
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>> For number 3, how about the following:
>> Right-click on a blank area of the panel and select Panel->Add New
>> Items. Find the Indicator Plugin in the list, select it and click the
>> Add button.

I see that #8 got dropped from the final document and I think that was a
good decision.

I found this link to a how-to:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/how-to-make-application-always-open-on.html
but I could not make it work.  Maybe it's because Compiz and Xfce 4.10
don't play well together. I don't know, I've never used Compiz myself.
At any rate, even if it could be made to work, it seems way too much
trouble for what it's worth, IMO.

Jack