Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin | Replace Thunderbird with Sylpheed?

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 6 15:19:54 UTC 2011

On 11/06/2011 10:14 AM, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 11/06/2011 06:28 AM, Glenn de Groot wrote:
>> Hello everyone, I would like to start a discussion about the default
>> mail client in Xubuntu.
>> I would love to see Sylpheed as the default mail client in 12.04 for
>> a couple of reasons.
>>
>> 1. Thunderbird properties in Synaptic: 39.8 MB
>>     Sylpheed properties in Synaptic: 2040 KB
>>
> True, but Xubuntu hasn't really been hurting for space on the CD.
>> 2. Thunderbird doesn´t look very integrated on Linux, Sylpheed is
>> really build for GTK.
> There might be some integration work done on this now that it's the
> default client in Ubuntu as well.
>> 3. Other lightweight distro´s (like Lubuntu) also ship Sylpheed,
>> Claws, Balsa and similar.
> We're not specifically a lightweight distro.  We're going for the best
> user experience based on the Xfce desktop.  This was discussed
> recently in meetings, but I can't seem to recall at the moment where
> this is stated.
>> 4. Sylpheed uses 5 MB (fully setup with Hotmail), Thunderbirds uses
>> much, much more.
> Aye, this is an issue.  But, fortunately, I think Thunderbird will
> benefit from some of the Firefox MemShrink efforts[1].
>
> Thanks,
> Micah
>

> [1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink

A few additional points in favor of Thunderbird:
1. Thunderbird gets support from the Ubuntu Security team which Sylpheed
would not.
2. Thunderbird has a release exception for the rapid release cycle which
means that we get new features in the Stable releases as well.  Sylpheed
has no such exception.
3. Upstream Thunderbird is willing to address our bugs.  (May or may not
be the case with Sylpheed)

Thanks,
Micah