Panels in Oneiric Ocelot

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Fri Jul 29 23:00:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

On tiistai 26 heinäkuu 2011, Kristian Rink wrote:
> Am Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:33:35 -0600
> schrieb Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>:
> > We are looking for constructive criticism to make Oneiric's panels
> > easier to use. Please give us your opinions and changes.
>
> Well, no global or meaningful hint, just my $0.02 on that: As most of
> the time I use Xubuntu on machines with screens not all too large
> (netbook, notebook), my usual "first steps of configuration always are
> like that:
>
> * Delete the lower panel as it just occupies space and gets into my way
>   without providing additional benefit.
>
> * Lock the upper panel full-size to the screen, make it use the system
>   style, height at 24 pixel, switch off any transparency or composite
>   effects.

IMHO most users couldn't care less about panel transparency and composite
still makes things less stable, not just slower.

> * In the upper panel, add applets in this order:
>   * start menu (icon only)
>   * places menu (icon only)
>   * task bar
>   * desktop pager (two rows, I usually run with 6 .. 8 virtual desktops)
>   * notification area / system tray
>   * clock
>   * session menu

I've seen several non-technical people to like a CPU usage indicator.
Especially on machines that have less RAM or are otherwise slower, it
shows that machine is actually doing something as response to user
actions, like starting Firefox...

> I am aware that this is a highly individual kind of setup, but I've
> been using a desktop style like that in my day-to-day productive use
> ever since early XFCE 4.x versions and so far it is the setup I found
> to be most useful and most unobtrusive - it's there, looks somewhat
> good, and just works. :)

	- Eero