Panels in Oneiric Ocelot

Kristian Rink kawazu at zimmer428.net
Tue Jul 26 06:39:36 UTC 2011

Folks;

Am Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:33:35 -0600
schrieb Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>:
> We are looking for constructive criticism to make Oneiric's panels
> easier to use. Please give us your opinions and changes.

Well, no global or meaningful hint, just my $0.02 on that: As most of
the time I use Xubuntu on machines with screens not all too large
(netbook, notebook), my usual "first steps of configuration always are
like that:

* Delete the lower panel as it just occupies space and gets into my way
  without providing additional benefit.

* Lock the upper panel full-size to the screen, make it use the system
  style, height at 24 pixel, switch off any transparency or composite
  effects.

* In the upper panel, add applets in this order:
  * start menu (icon only)
  * places menu (icon only)
  * task bar
  * desktop pager (two rows, I usually run with 6 .. 8 virtual desktops)
  * notification area / system tray
  * clock
  * session menu

I am aware that this is a highly individual kind of setup, but I've
been using a desktop style like that in my day-to-day productive use
ever since early XFCE 4.x versions and so far it is the setup I found
to be most useful and most unobtrusive - it's there, looks somewhat
good, and just works. :)

Cheers,
Kristian