Xubuntu team direction

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Thu Dec 31 03:12:06 UTC 2009

Jim Campbell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi
> <mailto:open at knome.fi>> wrote:
>
>     Now, where did this discussion go?
>

> It appears as though it went on vacation.  It has to come back to work
> eventually, though!
>

>     People seemed to like the council-type approach; what's next?
>

> I think it would be a good idea to revisit the document that Cody put
> together and see how it would need to be modified to suit a
> council-type approach.  I can give this a try.  I'll let the group
> know if I have questions as I put things together.
Yeah, this sounds good. Maybe we should also briefly revise the general
direction stuff and make any modifications to those as well if we feel
they need to be changed.

>     Anybody
>     has obejctions? Should we first propose this to the Community Council
>     (or some place else) or just take the new governance into use?
>

> Once that is done, I think we should have a meeting to approve it.  We
> could at least have that as an agenda item for our meeting (which we
> need to have anyway).  I think that there is a general consensus
> around this for now, but we should formalize it.
>

>     Cody, can
>     you be our link to the other councils or whatever, as you seem to know
>     them best?
>

> If we all approve of the change as a group, I think we could forward
> it on to the council so that they know what we're doing, but I am not
> so sure it would require their seal of approval.  As long as we are
> comfortable with what we're doing, I think the community council would
> be ok with it.  Ultimately, I don't think it will make a huge
> difference in how we operate as long as things get done.
I could think so as well, but you never know... :)

>     What's the situation with the technical team leadership? Cody, Lionel?
>

> I think we still need to address this.
Definitely!

>     What's the situation with Michael? Can we remove Joszef's name
>     from the
>     leaders list - he's still not appeared from the mist.
>

> I don't know what the situation is with Michael.  As for Joszef, I am
> of the opinion that we could remove his name from the leaders list.
> If he wanted to come back and contribute more, he would be welcome to
> do so.
Okay. Let's do this parallel to the next meeting. Maybe we should also
remove Michael from the leaders list or at least put his name on
parenthesis if he doesn't show up in the meeting or before it?

>     To make Lucid be as good and stable as possible, I think we also
>     should
>     have a developer meeting soonish. If we can get the governance things
>     sorted before or while the meeting, GREAT!
>

> I agree!  I've put together a doodle poll to check everyone's
> availability for a team meeting.  Please record what times will work
> for you using the link below.  Hopefully the times will work for
> people, but I can set up new times if I've picked times that don't
> work for your corner of the world.  Keep in mind that this will be the
> best Xubuntu team meeting ever.
>
> http://www.doodle.com/6stt9n2q7t9467q5
>
> Jim

What I gathered from this mail we need to cover at least the following
topics (read: AGENDA):

1) Review the Xubuntu strategy document
- Modify to suit the council-type approach (Jim will look into this
before the meeting)
- Briefly revise the overall strategy and modify if needed

2) Approve (and forward) the new Xubuntu governancy
- See 1), will need to have the final form ready in the document so we
can approve it!

3) Review the leaders list

4) Other topics
- Artwork for Lucid (Shimmer/polish Albatross)?
- Default applications for Lucid?
- [Insert your "other topic" here]

Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead