Xubuntu 9.04 post-mortem discussion?

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 24 17:08:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

First, a hearty thanks and congratulations for everyone's work on the 9.04
release. In many respects, I think it is the best Xubuntu release ever, and
everyone should be proud of their contributions. Thanks in particular to
Cody, Lionel, Charlie, Jannis, Michael, Pasi, Vincent, the Xfce team, and
um... Ubuntu and Debian. :)  (Please forgive me if I've left anyone out . .
. )

Second, yesterday on IRC, Cody mentioned that we should make sure we have
release procedures in place. He was able to look up the Ubuntu release
procedures on the Ubuntu wiki, and post several links to IRC. The Ubuntu
release procedures are well outlined, and it will be good to have them as a
reference in the future.

However, this got me to thinking that it would be good if we had a
post-mortem discussion about the 9.04 cycle. In particular, we could use
this session to go over what went well in this release so that we can repeat
it for future releases. We should also discuss what didn't go as well so
that it can be improved for future releases.

While this might not necessarily be a highly technical discussion, this
session can also serve as a reference point for developing some of the
process and team-related blueprints for the 9.10 release in advance of UDS
in late May. I'm sure some technical blueprints may come about from this,
too. The primary purpose would be to look back at the prior release, though.

Do others think this would be a good idea? I would not want to have the
meeting this weekend because I think people deserve a break and it will be
good to see how the release has settled out a bit, but I think next weekend
might work well.

Let me know what you think. And, again, congratulations and thanks to
everyone.

Jim