Testing Xubuntu 8.04 on Toshiba A105 - Help!

Bob Gotthardt bobgott at ptd.net
Tue May 6 18:13:44 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm a new, fascinated user testing Xubuntu 8.04 on an underpowered
Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Unfortunately for dual-boot, I could only retrieve a 10G partition from
this 80G Vista drive [MFT near 64G mark prevents further shrinkage w/o
too much 3rd party]. Ubuntu 7.14 and 8.04 have tested well also.
'Hardware Report' was sent and I joined Launchpad and Xubuntu Users as
dell at gotthardt.net.

How do you feel I will fare installing Xubuntu 8.04 in this 10G partition?

Do you have any suggestions? Do you recommend otherwise, what about
another release or  full Ubuntu (tested well)? This is a personal use
machine with no special applications [I need alternative to Vista] and
I'll share any experiences with you.

Additional testing conducted on AMD3100 (1GB), Vostro 200
(E2180 at 2.00GHz, 2GB),  hp8670c (P3/800MHz, 196MB), and xl759 (P3/800MHz,
256MB) on Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04. I want to join the team and share any
information I may have.

This Toshiba has only 512MB, but that can be increased and I can add
another disk for Ubuntu use. Any comments and help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Gotthardt

www.Gotthardt.Net