seed changes

Jani Monoses jani at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 5 22:03:23 UTC 2008

Jérôme Guelfucci wrote:
> Xubuntu is ubuntu because it takes advantage of the kernel, udev..
> work, the restricted manager, the community, the repos with very
> updated stuff.
Exactly. But you're loosing a good part of the community both of testers
and of mainatiners if you _gratuitously_ switch out some apps.

> BUT what's the point in putting the same applications as in Ubuntu ?
> It's only duplicting stuff, and is totally useless. It would be better
> to contribute directly to Ubuntu in that case.

openoffice, evolution, mono apps, compiz, tracker, panel with python
applets in it, all pretty large resource hogs, you're right we're using
the same applications in Xubuntu 7.10 and that is why it is bloated.

I wish you could stick to the facts and handwave less because you keep
saying nonsense and I have a hard time taking your arguments seriously.

> What's the point in putting things like gnome-mount, gnome-system
> monitor, gnome-screensaver when we can promote the xfce applications
> instead.

Why do you want to 'promote' stuff? This is not about promoting
anything, it is about having a good balance between a light core and
friendly apps. You obviusly did not get the advantages of gnome mount
and g-s-s despite they having been mentioned before.
xscreensaver is not xfce btw.

> Ghostvirus:
>
> For me and for most people I know, except the ones I see in that
> mailing list, Xubuntu is a distro that takes advantage of Ubuntu to
> provide a desktop based on *XFCE*. Like Kubuntu does, Ubuntu with KDE.
based on Xfce it is. And to complete the core desktop it uses sensible apps.
> Unfortunately the user friendly goal of Ubuntu was converted in "let's
> ship gnome applications" instead of "let's impove xfce".

You go and improve Xfce.  I have tried during dapper and after and have
given up. Most of the devs don't care about timely releases and users as
they work for fun mostly.
You're ridiculously misguided if you think that improving Xfce and
writing everything from zero is easier than reusing existing apps and
improving them instead , and you are ready to risk users' experience
because you're on a mission to fix Xfce.

Jani