Have tested Zenwalk and I think we sould realy consider to join forces with the graphical stuff!

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 16:46:16 UTC 2007

Well, Zenwalk and Dreamlinux already exist, I've checked out the screenshots
and they look very cool and probably do a good job. But as said, they exist,
so why should Xubuntu do it again? I remember having read about a "panel
setup changer" on the Ubuntu wiki that was supposed to be developed but have
heard nothing about it after that. It was a cool idea though.

I don't see the problems with the screenshots though. They show off
Xubuntu's applications and it's default setup. But perhaps we could also add
some that showed how much you can change the configuration, perhaps I'll
backup my settings and then make one.

On 1/10/07, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:

> Hi guy's,
>
> I have been testing zenwalk on vmware and I am very impressed. I was
> testing to see how they implemented xfce and the graphical looks of it.
>
> First thing I noticed, was the completion of nice together fitting icon's
> on all menu items apps, and panel items and more stuff. It just looks right
> then.
> We can for example exchange this graphical work and build better linux
> distro's. I think we should really make work of the fitting of the right
> icons by the apps, also when scaling the icons bigger and smaller they
> should always look nice.
>
> Also I spoke with some zenwalk users through IRC. And indeed say that they
> that xubuntu is a bad gnome clone. When I ask further they come by these
> thoughts because of the top and bottom bar of the desktop. When ask further
> and defending xubuntu they frustrated pointed to the xubuntu website
> http://www.xubuntu.org/screenshots. And indeed there is not much change
> between the screenshots. Time for some changes there guys. We can change
> this "bad" image very easily. We use xfce and so do they it is easily to
> changes the looks to something similar to zenwalk and dreamlinux so lets do
> this. Jmak I believe you were head of the xubuntu art work? Can you do this?
> and change edgy in a few different configuration's with different looks.
> Also make a tutorial around it so user can easily do it them self. We can
> put this on the website.
>
> Also we could make a tool/script system for xfce to be able to load
> different graphical configurations all in one time. To be more detailed:
> xfce is using his own settings to make xfce appear like it is now. Zenwalk
> and Dreamlinux and other xfce distro's also have to manually set all these
> settings. Let's make a tool or extend the "User interface preferences" with
> a configuration file and a open standard for it. That let us load different
> graphical configurations for the total xfce desktop system. Jani, I believe
> you have the best contacts with xfce developers like Benedikt. Can you do
> some work on this front?
>
> Good idea's? To much text here? Am I to pussy? :-D
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jelle

Vincent