wicd

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Aug 18 07:36:38 UTC 2007

Jérémie Corbier kirjoitti:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 09:58:39PM +0200, Giuseppe Torelli wrote:
>> On 8/17/07, Jérémie Corbier <jcorbier at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> In its current state, I would not even consider packaging it...  There are little
>>> chances it would make it into the archive.  "It kinda works for me" is not
>>> enough of a check before integrating random pieces of software into Xubuntu.
>> Did you try it by yourself? Unfortunately i don't have a wireless card.
>
> My point is, regardless whether it works or not, we cannot ship poorly
> designed softwares in main, especially when it comes to messing with people's
> network configuration.  I am sick of this "oh it works, it's cool, let's use it"
> trend.  How about increasing our quality standards a little?

That depends. Can you find a well designed, high quality app for every
common task, or do you just hope they'll pop up if you keep rejecting
all those you deem not worthy? I'd rather use a lesser piece of software
that is stable and does it's job well enough than dream of a perfect one
that doesn't exist. But if in this case there are indeed better options
available (like if Jani has managed to clean up the dependencies of
network-manager and it passes your quality check) then why don't you
just say so?

Anyway, as long as there's nothing like this installed by default in
Xubuntu it might be useful to have simple step-by-step instructions for
installing something like wicd or n-m in the Xubuntu documentation.

- Jari