no more icons
lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 22:00:40 UTC 2006
Ronnie Whisler wrote:
> Did any of these "developers" try using the trashcan panel when the
> panel has autohide enabled? My guess is they did not.... why? Because
> it doesnt' work.... Rendering the trashcan unusable..... Also why is
> this clean desktop sooooo important.... there are many many many
> individuals out there using linux/xubuntu because a friend set it up
> for them on their old computers..... THESE PEOPLE NEED THOSE ICONS.....
> but as always the linux developers don't think about that.... then they
> write articles yelling about how linux isn't gaining wider
> acceptance..... AND I simply love how this decision was made
> immediately before the last release..... when everything is frozen...
> if this clean desktop was so important why didn't you remove them a lot
> earlier...... friggin sneaky and actually really really dumb..... your
> trashcan panel doesn't work in most situations guys soooo thanks for
> disabling a cool new feature for the rest of us... GIVE US A CHOICE OR
> AT LEAST SOME FRIGGIN TIME TO DISCUSS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this email is a good example of how not to behave on a mailing-list:
1. please follow the rules of the mailing list. formulating complete
sentences is a good start. using all upper-case letters and excessive
punctuation is not.
2. don't be rude and offend people; especially not if they are the ones
doing all the hard work behind the scenes.
3. restrain from general "truths" (like "as always the linux developers
think...") without backing it up with some evidence or examples.
4, general ranting and complaining is not appreciated. please offer
constructive comments and suggest how things should be done better in
5. doubting the developer status of others (as implied by putting it in
quotes) is not something you should do if you don't have a clue what's
going on and who's actually doing the work.
6. if you have found a bug, which i think you do when you're saying
"trashcan panel doesn't work in most situations", please file a bug in
7. do not write repeatedly to the ML about the same topic. make your
point once, and make it clear. you will have more chances of people
taking you seriously that way.
about icons on the desktop:
- some people like it, some people don't; since it's not configurable
upstream, we have to go with one of the two.
- people desperate for these icons can install from SVN.
- no functionality is lost; everything can still be achieved with a few
clicks from the "Applications" menu. so what's the big deal?
More information about the xubuntu-devel