no more icons

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 18:14:54 UTC 2006

Well since others have more or less turned this into a "basht he devs"
session I would like to praise them for their hard work and personally thank
everyone. I didn't mean any harm by my comment about not having the
authority to decide about the icons. The subject of icons vs. no icons will
turn into our own little "vi vs. emacs" because its all about preference
(and please don't start flaming about text editors) so in the end: The way
the desktop ships default may or may not need icons because the user will
configure it they way they want either way. Its not that big of a deal, we
can put a tutorial for desktop icons on xubuntu.org once edgy releases ...
problem solved. :)

p.s. - sorry i said anything in the first place, i re-thought my statement
and this email was the result.

-Adam

On 10/25/06, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/06, Ronnie Whisler <mrwislr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did any of these "developers"  try using the trashcan panel   when the
> > panel has autohide enabled?  My guess is they did not.... why?  Because
> > it doesnt' work.... Rendering the trashcan unusable..... Also why is
> > this clean desktop sooooo important.... there are many many many
> > individuals out there using linux/xubuntu because a friend set it up
> > for them on their old computers..... THESE PEOPLE NEED THOSE ICONS.....
>
> The trashcan is unusable indeed in the case you. But deleting
> something is not and that is the main idea. Pressing delete is surely
> easier than dragging something to the trash icon.
> If not DnD is available in thunar.
>
> > but as always the linux developers don't think about that.... then they
> > write articles yelling about how linux isn't gaining wider
> > acceptance.....  AND I simply love how this decision was made
> > immediately before the last release..... when everything is frozen...
> > if this clean desktop was so important why didn't you remove them a lot
> > earlier......  friggin sneaky and actually really really dumb..... your
>
> it was not removed earlier as I hoped upstream will make it
> configurable. That did not
> happen and I had no time to do it so just went for the easiest solution.
>
> Jani

-=:Max:=-
--OpenPGP key: 5DBFA065--