Adding printers vs Xubuntu philosphy

Joe Braddock jmbraddock at earthlink.net
Sun May 7 20:04:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 13:58 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:

> OK, could be. At present CUPSYS is screwed up again <YECH>. When I
> actually go into the add printer menu and try to select a printer, it
> hangs completely. Fortunately my printer was added a while ago at one
> of those brief times when CUPSYS actually worked!

Actually, mine is now working!  The procedure I used as outlined by
somebody else on this list was to create a script that issued the
following commands:

sudo adduser cupsys shadow
sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
firefox localhost:631
sudo deluser cupsys shadow
sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

For the above to work, your user id has to be in the lpadmin group.
It's not a great solution, because 1) if your currently printing,
stopping and restarting cups doesn't play nice with your print job and
interface for the average user (especially if they are coming from
Windows).  However it does work and the adding/removing cupsys from
shadow takes care of the reading the shadow file.  The only security
risk could be if the power went down between the time cupsys was added
to shadow and prior to its removal, then in theory there could be a back
door, but the risk would seem to be minimal.

Joe