cd's?

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:09:12 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 08:50 +0300, Jani Monoses wrote:
> > Hi
> > sorry there are no CD images yet, and there will probably be only
> > after breezy releases.
> > I am not sure about this, but will have to ask the canonical folks
> > after they release and are no
> > longer busy.
> >
> > Jani
> >

> Thanks for the help Jani.
>
> I am actually getting to be ok at building ubuntu install cd's now, so I
> could probably build one on my own -- all I would need would be an
> exhaustive (recursive?) list of xubuntu-desktop's dependencies (and
> maybe also the dependencies of "suggested" & "recommended" packages).
> Is there a straightforward way to get this, preferably in a form that
> can be passed to xargs? apt-cache depends seems to show only the
> immediate dependencies, not the dependencies of dependencies...

The canonical devs said they will help building CDs after this realease is
out, based
on what is now in universe. The current xubuntu-desktop package (1.3) should
contain
a lot more of the needed packages. What I find that is missing in xubuntu
and unfortunatley
I could not finish in time are the the following: (there are probably others
too)

1) A display manager or someother way to take the user into X. I tried wdm
today, it works, but it's not
in the deafult install rigth now.
2) Talked a lot about ivman but did not get around to integrate it with
rox-filer.
3) Printing
4) polishing (panel and menu settings, wallpaper)

Still hopefully the CDs will be somewhat usable :)

So thanks for the offer, maybe you can help in the process of selecting what
to be on the CD, as I think
there is going to be some space left besides what's in xubuntu-desktop now.

BTW for the exhaustive list of deps the CD builder uses the germinate
package (it's in the repo), and the seed descriptions.
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeedManagement

Jani