[ubuntu-za] Desktop problems after normal upgrade within 16.04

PietBeukes zabear1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:46:18 UTC 2018

Hi everyone.  THURSDAY - a real donderdag for me.

*Re:  Desktop problems after normal upgrade within 16.04*

I did a normal upgrade today (when asked by Ubuntu 16.04 - some 14 or so
topic names).

After starting up afterwards I got my normal Desktop with folders and
files, but with no borders or bars & no normal side bar with the Gnome
applications - just the desktop - very clean. I did shut down and
started again, same result. It starts normal all the way through until I
get the desktop (as usual) but then no taskbars or menu bars or such at
top/side/bottom.

So I'm helpless, cannot access mail, browser, whatever, cannot log out
even (top and bottom bars fell away).

*Do advise, please. What can I do? *- don't know any coding and have not
used command-line. If there is something easy to do with the
commandline, I can try.

Regards

Piet - using Ubuntu (for normal human beings - not just for geeks!).