[ubuntu-za] local DNS

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sun Jan 28 11:57:31 UTC 2018

Thanks, Alfred.  I think the application isn't quite clear...

On 28/01/2018 10:21, Alfred C Stockton wrote:
> Depends on where you want to connect from.
Any machine the device is plugged into.  Mostly I'm distributing devices
to others and have no access to the machines it will be plugged into.
The customer will plug it into his/her machine, open the browser and
type the host/domain name to access it.
> If SSH etc I place the devices name in /etc/hosts on the machine you are
> connecting from and then I can ssh pi at rpidev however I need to get to some
> of my Raspberries via the internet and there I use afriad.org to handle
> the IP to name issue. Like stockton.co.za, another raspberry.
> I have also used the machine I want to get to, to send me an email of its
> current IP address.
These are the wrong use-cases.    I don't want to access the device, the
customer wants to.  Also, the device will only be visible to the machine
that it is plugged into, i.e the "tiny network" that is created between
the device the the user's PC.  So the EPC will have to provide a DNS
service to this "little private network" as it already provides the DHCP
service.

Hope that explains it better.
Regards
Charl