[ubuntu-za] UEFI

William Walter Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Mon Apr 25 13:14:47 UTC 2016

Hi All,

This might help someone

For the Nvidia driver, are you installing the right driver for your GPU

There are these in the repos :

nvidia-304

nvidia-331

nvidia-340

nvidia-352

nvidia-361

last night for my PC,

I first installed nvidia-340, did not work, would just go back to the login screen

I then installed nvidia-361, same problem

Then I, installed nvidia-304, works now

When it did not work,

At the login screen, pressed Ctrl + Alt + F1 for command line login, logged in with my Username and password

At the command prompt, typed sudo -i ( for intereactive sudo use ), then enter, and the password when asked

Typed apt-get remove nvidia-340, then enter, to remove the nvidia-340 driver

Typed apt-get install nvidia-361, then enter, then accept with a y

After installed, typed reboot, to reboot the PC

When I logged in, did the same as nvidia-340

So followed the above, to uninstall the nvidia-361 driver, and install the nvidia-304 driver, and rebooted, worked

Hope this helps

William