[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu alongside Win 8

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sat Nov 30 14:03:30 UTC 2013

Eish!  ...need I say more?!

There used to be a time when installing Ubuntu next to Windows was
easy.  With UEFI it has become "mission almost impossible"!

I got a Samsung 3-series laptop with Win 8 pre-installed.  It took me
nearly a day just to get the Ubuntu CD to boot.  I had to disable
"Secure boot" in the BIOS, set "OS Mode Selection" to "UEFI and CSM OS"
and finally prioritise the CD over the HDD for booting.  This allowed me
to boot the CD and install Linux.

Now that it is installed, I can't get Linux to Run, the system still
boots into Windows with no OS selection.  (I don't know why Mark
Shuttleworth approved of UEFI, whenever I cam accross it only resulted
in many wasted hours for me.)

I found the Boot-Repair utility, which can fix the problem but it only
works if you installed the 64-bit edition... oops!  There goes a couple
more hours; downloading, installing, struggling, etc. etc. etc.

Long a short:  If you are installing Ubuntu on a new PC:
a. USE 64-BIT EDITION
b. disable Secure Boot in BIOS
c. Still no luck, boot from CD again and run secure-boot.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Hope this saves a couple of others some time  :-)

Regards
Charl