[ubuntu-za] 13.04 First thoughts

Wikus wikus at cheetah-microsystems.com
Sat Apr 27 08:29:12 UTC 2013

Hi all , my first thoughts on 13.04.

Apart from Ubuntu still being unable to provide screen drivers that
actually works things are going ok.
It is very disappointing and frustrating to see that after so many years
Ubuntu are still unable to solve
something as basic as screen drivers. I have an ATI 5470 that is a very
new card , only about 7 months
old and the ATI drivers doesn't even work. The main driver keeps
throwing "unsupported hardware" errors
and when I use the "updates" drivers Ubuntu doesn't even start up at
all. Thank goodness I made a Redo image
before installing drivers so I could get my system back.
Ubuntu and hardware devs really should stop worrying about all the bells
and whistles and should start concentrating
on getting basics such as screen drivers sorted. It is very hard to try
and convert users to Ubuntu if they can't even have
a basic thing such as screen drivers.
And what is worse , they are going backwards. On 12.04 the drivers
worked perfectly for ATI. On 13.04 they don't.
And I don't even care if there is some "advanced way" of installing
them. A basic user does not have the time nor should
he/she be required to spend hours or days on advanced solutions just to
get screem drivers working.
And the excuse of "it's an in between release" is also no good.
LTS doesn't support software updates for major things like Libre Office
, vlc and many more. Only security and some software
are supported with updates. So the user are forced to use the "in
between" releases if he/she wants the most updated software.
And with the support shortened you are also forced to to install every
release. So they have to sort out EVERY release and get
these basics right.

A lot of the repositories are also not up to date yet. Another thing I
don't understand. Daily builds and betas are available
from long before the stable release that devs can use , so why should we
not have updated repositories on release ?

Performance wise it is not faster at all than 12.04 LTS. But it is much
better that 12.10. ( on my system at least )

So early days yet. But so far ( apart from not having screen drivers
that work ) everything is mostly good.

- Wikus

--
      _