[ubuntu-za] Notes tab on file properties

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Sat Jun 2 12:26:40 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 11:47 AM, tim at cybersmart.co.za wrote:

> Sent from my HTC

While I do appreciate the time that you all have taken to reply to my
query, I must point out that I am experiencing much more criticism and
defensiveness, than I am assistance. This is something that I have
witnessed before on this list. Quite frankly, it does nothing to attract
me to the open source community or products.

As I've stated elsewhere, I use Ubuntu in preference over MS products
because up until now, it has provided me with an environment that has
allowed me to get the maximum work done with the minimum of problems. At
present my problems are as follows:

 1. The initial, relatively minor (if time-consuming) problem of
    replacing, or trying to figure out a way to re-access all of the
    lost data that I had stored in those file comments.
 2. The much larger potential problem that all of us should be worried
    about. If data-storing features (particularly) can be removed
    without warning, then there can be absolutely no confidence in using
    the product.
 3. I am asking a question with a view to getting both an answer on how
    this can happen, and with a view to getting assistance. All I am
    getting so far in response is defensiveness. Strangely, those who
    are being so defensive are also telling me that I cannot rely on
    Ubuntu features being present in the future. As for assistance, I've
    been pointed to one post. The information in that post, I have found
    to be a mixture of inaccurate (I have found no Notes option wherever
    I right-click in the file manager window), and rather technical. I
    am a photographer, not a Linux expert.
 4. I have a number of people telling me that other tools would
    have/will work better than the course of action that I have used.
    However, again as I've said elsewhere, this option was the most
    practical for my circumstances and at the time that I began using it.

Is there please anyone out there who can firstly deal with my query on
the level of trusting that current Ubuntu features that I may use will
still be there in the future, and secondly, provide me with
straight-forward assistance in remedying my current problem. i.e.
accessing & using the information in the notes/comments fields of my files?

This is put forward as an Ubuntu community. I would appreciate some
community assistance, rather than being attacked for asking challenging
questions that actually effect us all.

Robin