[ubuntu-za] Notes tab on file properties

tim@cybersmart.co.za tim at cybersmart.co.za
Sat Jun 2 09:47:25 UTC 2012

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "Johan Mynhardt" <johanmynhardt at gmail.com>
To: <robin at bownes.co.za>, "Ubuntu South African Local Community" <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: [ubuntu-za] Notes tab on file properties
Date: Sat, Jun 2, 2012 10:40
Taken into context that you mentioned these notes were on photographs...

> How can such a decision, that can negatively impact potentially millions of
> people be made and executed in this manner?
> How can I rely on using Ubuntu if this kind of thing has already happened,
> and can therefore happen again at any time in the future? How do I know
> which features I can safely use, and which I can't?

As a photographer (amateur) I have the following comments:

There are professional OpenSource photo management/workflow
applications that does just that.
A file manager does just that - manage files.

You can't blame the file manager for loosing such data, as a file
manager at minimum will only work with the file's properties that is
part of the underlying OS's file system. Anything more than that is a
feature which nobody should take for granted.

You can't blame a vehicle manufacturing company going green when you
just bought a 1000 barrels of fuel...

--
Johan Mynhardt
I tend to agree. Although the change to nautilus is strange & unexpected, there are far better tools for the job that is described than a file manager.