[ubuntu-za] Notes tab on file properties

Robin Bownes robin at bownes.co.za
Sat Jun 2 12:07:09 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 10:40 AM, Johan Mynhardt wrote:
> Taken into context that you mentioned these notes were on photographs...
>
>> How can such a decision, that can negatively impact potentially millions of
>> people be made and executed in this manner?
>> How can I rely on using Ubuntu if this kind of thing has already happened,
>> and can therefore happen again at any time in the future? How do I know
>> which features I can safely use, and which I can't?
> As a photographer (amateur) I have the following comments:
>
> There are professional OpenSource photo management/workflow
> applications that does just that.
> A file manager does just that - manage files.
>
> You can't blame the file manager for loosing such data, as a file
> manager at minimum will only work with the file's properties that is
> part of the underlying OS's file system. Anything more than that is a
> feature which nobody should take for granted.
>
> You can't blame a vehicle manufacturing company going green when you
> just bought a 1000 barrels of fuel...

Johan,

Firstly, removing the ability to see information, attached to a file,
that is apparently still there, can in no way be equated to a
motor-manufacturer "going green" - whether anyone has just bought fuel
or not.

Secondly, as a photographer (professional), I have the following comments:

  * Using the embedded notes/comments in the file properties, provided a
    simple, easy to use, cross-platform method of recording and
    providing necessary information to clients, printers & galleries,
    whether they were using Linux, Windows or Mac.

  * The professional photo management/workflow applications in the
    repositories all have their own weaknesses, as does any software.
    However, the main one is that I cannot rely on all of the printers,
    galleries, clients, etc., with whom I may deal, using the same, or
    even a compatible management system.
  * I'm afraid that your comment about file managers does not really
    make sense to me. However, it is highly irresponsible to provide a
    feature, that may well be used by millions of people, and then
    remove it without warning. This is true whether the actual comment
    data is no longer stored, or whether the ability to read that data
    is no longer available.

I stopped using Microsoft, and began using Ubuntu for one major reason.
Ubuntu made my life easier, and allowed me to get more work done, and
spend considerably less time dealing with software issues. Given the
circumstances under discussion, and possible future ramifications, it is
entirely valid for me to question the reasonableness of continuing to
use Ubuntu unless some fairly strong re-assurances are provided. This
time it is a relatively small, but useful, and highly time-consuming
(for me) item that has been removed. Next time it might be something
that impacts you; possibly even more severely.

I found your comments to be extremely defensive (not really sure why),
and providing absolutely no helpful information.

Robin