[ubuntu-za] Trying to install Mozilla Firefox - can't extract

Neil Oosthuizen nlsthzn at gmail.com
Tue May 31 10:47:17 UTC 2011

On 05/31/2011 02:36 PM, SHAWN REITSTEIN wrote:
> Hi, I've downloaded Firefox 4 but I can't install it? (
> firefox-4.0.1(2).tar.bz2 ) bzip2: [ Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
> 	perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
> bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> 	Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)
>
> It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
> You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.
>
> You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
> data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.
>
> tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now ]
> Also can't do Youtubes? I get about 30 seconds and it freezes? I'm
> using Jaunty. Firefox 3.6.15 - I want 4 if possible - I imagine it'll
> solve the problems? I don't mind using an entirely different browser.
>
> Thanks
> Shawn

I don't want to comment on the FF4 issue to much but I would suggest
re-downloading as it sounds like it is corrupt.

As for your flash issue, installing FF4 won't change the version of
flash you are using (might force you to re-install though)... so I think
you may want to concentrate on flash rather than the browser... I always
just use "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" in terminal and
never had to many flash issues however I am aware of so many flash
issues in the past that I am sure the Ubuntu Forums will be a good place
to look for flash related problems... a quick Google also brought up
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/04/installing-flash-in-ubuntu-904-with-firefox/
which is worth a look.

Regards
Neil