[ubuntu-za] Failed to update repository information - (Resending as no response 1st time round)

Robin Bownes robinbownes at afrihost.co.za
Sun May 29 23:54:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 19:10 +0200, Raoul Snyman wrote:

> Hi Robin,
>
> On Sunday 29 May 2011 17:11:40 Robin Bownes wrote:
> > When I try to update repository information, I get the following error
> > message:
>
> There are usually 2 reasons as to why no one responded to your previous mail.
>
> The first one (which probably constitutes the majority of people) is that
> people have not ever had the issue you are talking about, and don't know how
> to fix it.
>
> The second one is because you haven't Googled enough. I am of this second
> camp. A quick Google brought up literally thousands of results.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+apt-get+update+Hash+Sum+mismatch
>
> --
> Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
> Saturn Laboratories
> m: 082 550 3754
> e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
> w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
> b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za
> , and t

Hi Raoul,

I often find the solutions to Ubuntu issues by Googling. In this
instance, I did not find a solution that I understood. I therefore came
to this list looking for assistance that I, as an ex-Windows, and
relatively inexperienced Ubuntu user could understand and use. I was not
looking for sarcasm or to be spoken to as if I am an idiot. There are
often impassioned discussions on this, and other Ubuntu lists, regarding
how to attract people to Ubuntu. I'm afraid that the general tone, and
lack of helpfulness of your reply are not what is needed in this regard,
and certainly not what I was looking for.

I have looked through many of the links supplied by your Google search
and am in the same position as I was after my own Google searches on
this matter - still in need of assistance that does not assume that I am
either an Ubuntu expert, or an idiot.