[ubuntu-za] Sound & Video Questions

Ian Whitfield whitfield at federalsaints.net
Fri Jan 28 13:27:27 UTC 2011

Raoul Snyman replied....
>> >  I always do a complete fresh install and the hardware has not changed,
>>
> Why? I've been using Kubuntu for the last 4 or so years, and I've never
> needed to reinstall, apart from when I moved from a 32-bit machine to a
> 64-bit machine (and even then, I could have happily continued using the
> 32-bit version as-is when I moved my hard drive to the new machine).

I keep having major problems with software and upgrades which mean I
have to re-install. The latest one was when I tried to upgrade to the
latest version of KDE and the whole system did a "wheels-up" on me. In
the last two years I must have done about 20 installs!! And it looks as
if I may have another one to do now... see below!!
>> >  The Motherboard is an Intel D865GLC with on-board sound, Flex 6 with an
>> >  82801EB chip. Any idea how to get this working again??
>>
> In 10.10, Kubuntu had PulseAudio dumped on it. Try removing that (sudo
> aptitude remove pulseaudio), and see if that helps. It would also help if
> you could give us some more information by giving us the output of lspci.

I tried this and scrubbed PulseAudio as you said and it has made no
difference. I've ordered one of the USB Audio devices mentioned by
Wesley and we will see if this works! I did an lspci but I can't get at
it now on the other machine. It did list the on-board Sound Chip.
>> >  2) I just did my latest install last week from K10.04 to K10.10 and this>  time the "image" on the screen has come up twice the size of what it was>  before. My monitor only shows 1024*768 and this also shows under System
>> >  Settings/Display, (with only lower options available). The Video Card is>  a Nvidia GeForce FX5500 and I did a standard install from an official
>> >  Kubuntu CD. Any idea how to get this back to it's original screen size
>> >  as it's rather difficult to work with at such a large size. Maybe a
>> >  special driver is required??
>>
> sudo aptitude install nvidia-current

OK - thanks for this. I ran the command and then re-started the system.
NOW I only have a text input screen!!! No GUI at all!! Where do we go
from here????

--
*/_Ian Whitfield_/*/
*ZS6CDX

/(No trees were harmed in the production of this message, however
a large number of re-cycled electrons were temporarily inconvenienced) ////