[ubuntu-za] Sound & Video Questions

josholikestofly at gmail.com josholikestofly at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 18:13:40 UTC 2011

> 2) I just did my latest install last week from K10.04 to K10.10 and this
> time the "image" on the screen has come up twice the size of what it was
> before. My monitor only shows 1024*768 and this also shows under System
> Settings/Display, (with only lower options available). The Video Card is a
> Nvidia GeForce FX5500 and I did a standard install from an official Kubuntu
> CD. Any idea how to get this back to it's original screen size as it's
> rather difficult to work with at such a large size. Maybe a special driver
> is required??

I vagualy remember that the automatic driver wizard in 10.10 did not
automatically detect an old Geforce 4000 graphics card. I think there is a
reference to some issuse with older nvidea cards and drivers in the Maverick
release notes:

Check it out under the "Graphics and Display" section of the "Known Issues"
heading on the release notes (about half way down the page):
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes

It also has a link to a related bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/626974

Not sure if all of the above is related but worth checking out i guess. Also
not sure if this is related to Kubuntu, or only Ubuntu.

Cheers

Josh