[ubuntu-za] Evolution Of A Linux User

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 06:31:28 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then comes chapter 2 "2000-2010" :
>>
>> Stage 11: Gaming on Windows
>> Stage 12: Virus on Windows
>> Stage 13: At last a stable version of Windows (XP)
>> Stage 14: "Mammon slept. And the beast reborn spread over the earth
>> and its numbers
>> grew legion. And they proclaimed the times and sacrificed crops unto the
>> fire, with the cunning of foxes. And they built a new world in their own
>> image as promised by the
>> sacred words, and spoke
>>  of the beast with their children. Mammon awoke, and lo! it was
>> naught but a follower."
>> Stage 15: You get an EEE PC, an XBox, a broadband connection with
>> Gmail. And you never need to boot Windows again. Honestly.
>> Stage 16: Your boss walk in with a brand new Vista PC and you spend
>> the next 2 days updating it.
>>

> Stage 17: You're just the same as the Windows Hippocrates, but on the Linux side
> Stage 18: You realize that both Windows, Linux, UNIX and MAC has their
> own unique and well-designed features. Each OS has it's place and
> works best at what it's designed for.

Rudi, next time
* you buy a Windows or Office license, for under R1000
* you open a web page with IE8 or better or
* you turn your ADSL or wireless router on and it does not crash after two days
you should thank the open source community unselfish contributions of
Linus, Stallman and many others. Without the competition from open
source products, Microsoft will simply not have bothered to improve
the quality of their products or lowering their prices. I'm not saying
Microsoft is evil. I'm saying that they are so obsessed with making
money, that they don't realize that there's something wrong with
capitalism.