[ubuntu-za] No sound

Wesley Werner wesley.werner at gmail.com
Wed May 19 12:39:58 BST 2010

> I do get a bit overwhelmed by often conflicting advice. I don't like
> the thought of going to OSS

Agreed it's not something I suggest easily, but as a last resort it solved
my issues in the past.

> In fact, I can't help but feel that this is a minor problem caused by
> a minor setting that I have missed somewhere.

Other possibilities are 1) A hardware issue that just so happened to pop up
during the upgrade 2)  A regression in the sound driver that caused yours to
stop functioning. if you paste the lshw command output here we can search if
your hardware is giving problem for other people too.

> Not a good week - my wife's XP notebook is running somewhere between
> dead slow and stop.

Could be anything if it's XP ;P Guess that's why people just reinstall,
Clonezilla is useful here to image a fresh install, so next time you can
just restore the image in 20 mins.