[ubuntu-za] Installation problems

Brenton Edgar Scott trixarian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 21:07:10 BST 2010

On 21/06/2010 13:36, Dave Lizamore wrote:
> Op 2010/06/21 01:03 nm, het Wesley Werner geskryf:
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Dave Lizamore
>> <dave.lizamore at gmail.com <mailto:dave.lizamore at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     . Both Ubuntu 10.04 and Mint 9.0 now only supports the AHCI
>>     protocol for accessing SATA2 drives and not the IDE protocol.. Win Xp
>>     supports IDE, but is too old to support AHCI
>>

>> I should point out that AHCI doesn't give performance benefits, it's
>> an interface for ATA device coms and hot-swappable configurations. I
>> can see why the Linux Kernel pushed to support this, since kernel
>> 2.6.19, so this support falls on a lower level Ubuntu specifically.
>> It is still too new to be supported out-the-box by Windows XP, as you
>> discovered, but at the time AHCI did not exist either, and so we
>> suffer from OS/Hardware incompatibility.
>>
>> I think going forward we will have to put up with the clunky hardware
>> designs. What I don't understand is how come Linux didn't pick up
>> with the IDE? It's a common interface standard that is fully
>> supported. I guess the combination of running multiple OS's that use
>> IDE + AHCI exclusively cause a conflict.
> I am not clude up enough to know where the problem is. All I know is
> both ubuntu 7.10 and mint 8.0 worked perfectly on my previous seagate
> which was a SATAI drive. When i replaced it with a SATAII seagate, I
> had to enable AHCI for linux to see my drive.
If the option can be enabled then what exactly is the problem? That it's
not on by default? When I switched over to lucid, I had to enable my
Neotel USB connection through modprobe and dial up to it using ppp.
Seems like a minor issue to me. Maybe you should suggest it on the
Ubuntu bug list or wish list and see if it gets supported (with Linux,
it's at least sooner rather than later - UNLIKE Windows)

----- Brenton Edgar Scott -----
http://www.irc-wiki.org
http://www.trixarian.za.net