[ubuntu-za] Installation problems

Dave Lizamore dave.lizamore at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 12:36:45 BST 2010

Op 2010/06/21 01:03 nm, het Wesley Werner geskryf:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Dave Lizamore
> <dave.lizamore at gmail.com <mailto:dave.lizamore at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     . Both Ubuntu 10.04 and Mint 9.0 now only supports the AHCI
>     protocol for accessing SATA2 drives and not the IDE protocol.. Win Xp
>     supports IDE, but is too old to support AHCI
>

> I should point out that AHCI doesn't give performance benefits, it's
> an interface for ATA device coms and hot-swappable configurations. I
> can see why the Linux Kernel pushed to support this, since kernel
> 2.6.19, so this support falls on a lower level Ubuntu specifically. It
> is still too new to be supported out-the-box by Windows XP, as you
> discovered, but at the time AHCI did not exist either, and so we
> suffer from OS/Hardware incompatibility.
>
> I think going forward we will have to put up with the clunky hardware
> designs. What I don't understand is how come Linux didn't pick up with
> the IDE? It's a common interface standard that is fully supported. I
> guess the combination of running multiple OS's that use IDE + AHCI
> exclusively cause a conflict.
I am not clude up enough to know where the problem is. All I know is
both ubuntu 7.10 and mint 8.0 worked perfectly on my previous seagate
which was a SATAI drive. When i replaced it with a SATAII seagate, I had
to enable AHCI for linux to see my drive.