[ubuntu-za] Installation problems

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Tue Jun 8 09:27:33 BST 2010

Hi Dave,

First, a quick word on Ubuntu version numbers. Ubuntu uses a
<year>.<month> versioning scheme, so "Ubuntu 8" is not really a valid
version number. Ubuntu 8.04, for instance, is from April 2008, 9.10 is from
October 2009. The latest version of Ubuntu is 10.04, released in April of
this year.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:05:10 +0200, Dave Lizamore wrote:
> I have just replaced my pc with an Intel Core i3 540 3.07 GHz CPU  and
> an Intel DH55TC MB, a 500GB Seagate baracuda HD, 2x2 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM

> with on board sound and video enabled. I used to run both Ubuntu 8 and
> Mint 9 on my previous system (intel dual core 2.6GHz CPU on a Foxcon MB
> with a NVDIA video card, but cannot install either on my new pc. Ubuntu
> loads the kernel and then bombs out to the busybox command line, while
> Mint would not even boot from the CD and default back to windows. I have

> updated the bios as well as the video driver from Intel's website, but
> it does not make a difference.

Have you tried Ubuntu 10.04 on that machine? Those specs don't look too
weird or outlandish to me. Also, that's a 64 bit processor, are you running
the 64 bit version of Ubuntu and Mint on there? I know AMD processors can
run both 32 bit and 64 operating systems, but I'm not sure about Intel's
range.

Phoronix has a review of the processor, and they run all their tests on
Ubuntu 10.04:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_corei3_530

Hope this helps.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za