[ubuntu-za] Software for ISR computer redistriubtion project. Suggestions?

David Rubin drubin at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 27 12:07:38 BST 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Helge Reikeras
<helge.reikeras at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The ISR computer redistribution project will be launching any day now. See
> http://www.firga.sun.ac.za/isr/images/ISR%20POSTER_3rd%20term_lowres.jpg
> if you still don't know about this project. The PCs to be redistributed
> will have Ubuntu (Xubuntu or Lubuntu for low-end hardware) installed on
> them. In order for the PCs to be as usable as possible for learning the
> plan is to run a post-install script after the clean Ubuntu install. The
> post-install script will install a few extra packages that we consider
> useful for high-school learners. The list so far includes educational
> tools (for obvious reasons) and support for restricted (but common)
> formats such as mp3, avi, flash and java (to make the PCs more useful as
> many of the receivers will not have Internet access). The list so far
> includes:
>
> # Educational
> 'ubuntu-edu-secondary'
> 'edubuntu-docs'
>
> # Support for restricted formats
> 'gstreamer0.10-pitfdll',
> 'gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg',
> 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad',
> 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse',
> 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly',
> 'gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse',
>
> # VLC bundles restricted media formats such as mp3, avi
> 'vlc',
>
> # Java
> 'sun-java6-jre',
>
> # Flash
> 'adobe-flashplugin',
>
> # Games
> 'gnome-games',
>
> # Superior CD burning
> 'k3b',
>
> I would please ask everyone (and especially those with experience using
> educational software) to make suggestions for additional software that can
> be installed to make the PCs more suitable for educational use and for
> users without Internet access. All information and experience that is
> gathered for this project will eventually go on a Wiki for similar
> projects to use. Note that the PCs will not go towards a school computer
> lab, but that the learners will take the PCs home with them. Thus, there
> must be software that is also useful for other purposes than educational
> only. If you are interested, the post-installation script (Python) is
> available on
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-za-maties/+junk/isr-redist. You can
> download it with 'bzr branch lp:~ubuntu-za-maties/+junk/isr-redist'
> (install bazaar first).

Only suggestion would be make it a deb ;-p

But on a serious note have you thought about making a custom install
CD/DVD. If you are going to be setting up a few of these machines it
might be easier to just create the base install and users can simply
install that.

This also means you can give out the ISO and users/schools could
install it them selves with out needing Internet access biggest plus
over the post install script.

David