[ubuntu-za] Changing SATA setting from IDE mode to AHCI after Ubuntu install

Josh Brodrick josholikestofly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:04:55 BST 2010

Hi all

I have a question regarding SATA settings in the BIOS of my motherboard:

My computer is a dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 and Win7.
My motherboard is an Asus M4N82 Deluxe AM3 board.

My motherboard has an eSATA port on the rear panel which I would like the
option of using. When reading the motherboard user manual, it states that I
need to
set my SATA controller to AHCI mode in order to make use of the eSATA
connections.
My motherboard's BIOS SATA controller is currently set to SATA mode (IDE
mode), as this was the default value on the board.

My question is whether I can safely change the SATA controller setting from
IDE mode to AHCI mode without causing any problems to my Ubuntu install?
Will Ubuntu automatically detect the change and load the appropriate
drivers/software controllers, or is it a better idea to wait until I do a
clean install with the next release?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Josh