[ubuntu-za] Is it worth it?

David Nel david.uberdiablo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 07:24:16 GMT 2010

2010/1/20 Jonathan Hitchcock <jonathan.hitchcock at gmail.com>

> Hi David,
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:52 AM, David Nel <david.uberdiablo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I just got a Ubuntu 9.10 disc from ShipIt and was wondering if I'm able
> > just upgrade my current 8.10 installation without too much hassle.
>
> The discs from ShipIt are not for upgrading your systems - they are
> for installing from scratch.  They contain squashed live ready-made
> base systems which give you a fresh installation almost instantly,
> with a few minor bits of configuration.
>
> In addition, you can't (or rather, shouldn't) skip versions when
> upgrading.  To get from 8.10 to 9.10, you should first upgrade to
> 9.04, and from there to 9.10. Each new version knows exactly what
> needs to happen to the previous version to get itself up and running.
> It would be a lot harder to make generic instructions that would work
> when coming from *any* previous version, so the sensible thing to do
> is to leapfrog up versions, making each change as they come.
>
> Upgrading your system to the next version is essentially a matter of
> upgrading each package installed on the system to the level at which
> the next distribution version has them.  This is why the ShipIt discs
> can't upgrade them:  they don't contain all the packages which you
> have installed (and there's no way they could - they can't tell what
> you've installed).
>
> My recommendation is that you take a copy of your /etc, and keep your
> /home, and install 9.10 fresh, but using your old /home (thus keeping
> all your files and settings).  In addition, before you upgrade, you
> can take a list of the packages you have installed and install them on
> the new system once you've upgraded.  To do this, run:
>   dpkg --get-selections > ~/installed-files-8.10
>
> Once you've upgraded, run:
>   dpkg --set-selections < ~/installed-files-8.10
>
> And then run "aptitude install" to make the changes happen.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking though that maybe I should just
stick with 8.10 for a little while longer seeing as 10.04 is soon to be
released. I have a laptop I could try 9.10 out on if I want to, so I guess
I'll still get to try it out that way. Was hoping I could just upgrade with
the disc though. Haha... Guess not.

Tell me though if I run the 9.04 upgrade through the update manager will my
current installation still work (ie my tablet etc)? And what size download
would I be looking at?