[ubuntu-za] WINDOWS BOOT PROBLEM

bullet at ballmail.co.za bullet at ballmail.co.za
Wed Apr 14 07:39:05 BST 2010

Tim Johnson wrote:
> I've had this problem a couple of times since installing 10.04 Beta and
> this is what I've done to fix the prob... (go to the end)
>
> On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 12:21 +0200, frans wrote:
>
>> On 10/04/13 11:42 AM, Sinjin Swanepoel wrote:
>>
>>> Use the repair option on the windows cd. Once you're in the repair
>>> console. I think the command to type is: fixmbr
>>> This should replace Grub with the windows boot loader. I dont know how
>>> this will effect your other OS's, but im sure it is possible that the
>>> windows loader will pick them up.
>>>

>> windows xp sertainly does not do  this... had no need with vista or 7
>> yet so not sure what they'll do

>> just thought of  something Grub's configuration file changed a bit since
>> 9.10...
>> it now is not in the menu.lst  file any more but in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>> in the same folder should be the ntfs.mod and ntfscomp.mod files,
>> propably you short some of those files?
>>

> Boot using a Windows XP disk.
> Select Repair Installation
> Go into the command prompt
> Type fixboot (Answer yes to the questions)
> Type fixmbr (Answer yes again)
> Type exit
> How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu
> 9.10)
>

> This How-to is for windows dual booters who reinstall an operating
> system only to find that it has taken away access to their other
> operating system.
>
> Whether you want to restore the XP, Vista, 7 or Ubuntu (Grub)
> bootloader, this guide will walk you through it.
>

> All three parts of this tutorial require that you boot from a cd. If you
> don't know how to do this, check here.
>

> If you have made a mistake and want to revert the changes, simply follow
> the instructions for reinstalling the previous bootloader. For example,
> if you have installed vista over ubuntu, try to get the ubuntu
> bootloader back, but want to get the vista bootloader back, simply
> follow my instructions for installing the vista bootloader.
>

> How to restore the Ubuntu grub bootloader (9.10 and beyond)
>

> First you need to find out what your drives are called. You can do this
> by going to a terminal and typing:
>

> Code:
>
> sudo fdisk -l
>

> >From that you need to find the device name of your Ubuntu drive,
> something like “/dev/sda5″.
>
> So, still in the terminal, type:
>

> Code:
>
> sudo mkdir /media/sda5
>
> sudo mount /dev/sda5 /media/sda5
>

> And then, to reinstall the grub:
>
> Code:
>
> sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda5 /dev/sda
>

> Push enter and you’re done! Of course you need to replace “/dev/sda5″
> and “/dev/sda” with what you found in the fdisk output.

Thanks Tim,Hannes,Frans,Quintin,Josh,

All your help & interest is appreciated. I did have a supergrub disk
which I used but obviously not correctly, as it kept opening the 10.04
grub menu without giving me the option to repair anything. Ok, I sorted
that out by going into the support menu, however what then happened was
that by trying to repair the MBR, it totally removed all the grub menu's
and then gave me an "error 6" with the message "mismatched or corrupt
version of stage1/stage2" and I'm still unable to boot into windows.
I recovered 8.04 via supergrub, but 10.04 was completely removed. I've
re-installed 10.04 and it gave me the option to import XP & 8.04 files,
which I've done and they're all there. I suppose these will be workable
if I download wine & work through 10.04?
I've only got the XP version that came with the computer which I believe
is not the same as a separate disk and can't do the fixmbr function.
I don't want to fiddle and wipe everything off - You've guessed it, no
recent back ups on XP.
Will the repair installation option correct the "corrupt version"
problem or am I looking at a complete re-install of XP?

Vincent