[ubuntu-za] WINDOWS BOOT PROBLEM

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Apr 14 07:53:56 BST 2010

Hi Vincent,

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:39:05 +0200, bullet at ballmail.co.za wrote:

[e-mail snipped for brevity]

> I've only got the XP version that came with the computer which I believe

> is not the same as a separate disk and can't do the fixmbr function.
> I don't want to fiddle and wipe everything off - You've guessed it, no
> recent back ups on XP.
> Will the repair installation option correct the "corrupt version"
> problem or am I looking at a complete re-install of XP?

Depending on how much RAM you have, you might want to investigate
installing VirtualBox, and installing Windows inside that. You should be
able to access all your Windows files from within Linux, in which case you
can backup all the important files, and then install XP into VirtualBox,
and then transfer the files back into XP in VirtualBox.

Hope this helps,

Raoul.