[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu-ZA Moving Forward

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Mon Apr 12 22:18:45 BST 2010

On Sunday 11 April 2010 23:06:41 Helge Reikeras wrote:
> If we want to go local we might want to consider
> Chisimba<http://avoir.uwc.ac.za/index.php?module=news&action=viewcategory&i
> d=gen14Srv6Nme27_8917_1219322157> which
> is an open source CMS developed as a collaboration by 12 African
> universities. One of them is UWC and they might also be able help us out
> with shared hosting. Apparently it can do blogs, wikis and has got a pretty
> cool photo gallery module. However, I don't have any experience with this
> CMS. If anybody do, please share your insights.

0_0 What a URL!

I personally feel we should rather go with Drupal because Chisimba is not very
widespread, and more people know Drupal (I know of at least 2 guys other than
myself who have Drupal skillz).

Also, because Drupal is a more well-known open source application, it has
better security coverage than Chisimba (think less spam).

Oh, and one of the Drupal core developers lives in SA (Cape Town to be
precise) ;-)

I actually had a look at Chisimba a few years ago, and I found it a bit on the
clunky side. By the looks of the URLs, it hasn't changed much since then.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za