[ubuntu-za] 3G modem

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Oct 6 14:36:44 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 14:20 +0200, Michael Gorven wrote:
> By default Vodacom won't allow incoming connections on 3G/GPRS. If you want
> this you need to signup for the unrestricted APN. The other approach is to
> use a reverse SSH tunnel as Sudhashen mentioned, but I would avoid that if
> possible.

Thanks Michael, I'm aware of this.  This is partly why it would prefer a
router with a built-in NAT firewall and port-forwarding.  I can
obviously do the samething on Ubuntu server with a modem, but its never
a good idea to have your firewall and protected applications on the same
machine.

Of course an alternative would be to have the machines connect
automatcally to a central server.  But then the central server needs to
redirect the user from its web-server to the web-server on the remote
machine via the VPN tunnel... I don't even know if that's possible or
whether it would require a Phd to set it up?!

Regards
Charl