[ubuntu-za] 3G modem

Michael Gorven michael at gorven.za.net
Tue Oct 6 13:20:43 BST 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 14:09:36 Charl Wentzel wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a very small Ubuntu server on a site, which we would
> like to monitor remotely via 3G.  One of the things I would like to do
> is to access the webserver on this server.

By default Vodacom won't allow incoming connections on 3G/GPRS. If you want
this you need to signup for the unrestricted APN. The other approach is to
use a reverse SSH tunnel as Sudhashen mentioned, but I would avoid that if
possible.

http://www.vodacom.co.za/services/unrestricted_apn/get.jsp

Michael

--