[ubuntu-za] Karmic Vodacom K3565-Z

Chris Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Fri Nov 13 06:16:54 GMT 2009

Gary Alexander wrote:
> 2009/11/12 Mark Stockton <mark at linuxworx.co.za>:
>
>> Has anyone else had issues recognising the Vodacom 3G K3564-Z device after
>> upgrading to Karmic. If so can you please give me a hint on resolving this
>> issue.
>>

> Hi Mark
>
> I had to install the following packages to get this to work (both on
> Jaunty and Karmic)
> ozerocdoff_0.4-2_i386.deb
> usb-modeswitch_0.9.7_i386.deb
> vodafone-mobile-connect_2.15.01-1_all.deb
>
> These packages I got off the betavine website
> (http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/resources/datacards/os/ubuntu)
>
> Though usb-modeswitch updated automagically when I updated to Karmic
> ... you might want to try installing just that package with apt-get
> and see if that works....
>
> I haven't had to use the vodafone app to connect, Network Manager
> picks up the modem after I install these packages and reboot, but your
> mileage may differ ... :)

Thanks very much for that info, Gary.  My K3565-Z is now working great
under Karmic. ubuntu-za roolz!

As you point out, usb-modeswitch is available in the Karmic repo so I
used that version. (I already had it installed to get my E220 working
under Karmic).  Also, I did not need to reboot after installing the
packages (in order usb-modeswitch, ozerocdoff then vodafone-mobile...).
And, as you say, Network Manager picked up the modem and let me set up
the Vodacom connection without having to use Mobile-Connect.

Thanks again,
Chris