[ubuntu-za] Karmic Network Manager borked

Chris Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Thu Nov 12 07:20:14 GMT 2009

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
> Well that didn't take very long. It's Wednesday. I installed Karmic on
> Saturday and was only remarking about the ethO in Network Manager being
> confusing to some Windows converts. Now its decided to go on strike.
> Can't gany network information. My setting has literally disappeared,
> and the backup setting which is there, isn't working either. All I see
> is: "Service not managed"
>
> Have I got to use the terminal to get a link up an running? Any ideas
> how to restore Network Manager to its former glory?
>
> DRL

Just deleting or moving /etc/network/interfaces to another name should
do the trick.
NM works perfectly for me (ethernet, ADSL and 3G) but then I've learnt
not to get in its way by
changing the 'interfaces' file myself (either manually or using other
programs like pppoeconf).
If NM detects that you've changed the file sufficiently then at some
point it is going to assume that
you want to manage things and will back off.  (Service not managed).
Unfortunately this tends to
leave things in a broken state.