[ubuntu-za] Karmic Network Manager borked

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Nov 12 08:03:29 GMT 2009

Chris Schoonbee wrote:
> David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>
>> Well that didn't take very long. It's Wednesday. I installed Karmic on
>> Saturday and was only remarking about the ethO in Network Manager being
>> confusing to some Windows converts. Now its decided to go on strike.
>> Can't gany network information. My setting has literally disappeared,
>> and the backup setting which is there, isn't working either. All I see
>> is: "Service not managed"
>>
>> Have I got to use the terminal to get a link up an running? Any ideas
>> how to restore Network Manager to its former glory?
>>
>> DRL
>>

> Just deleting or moving /etc/network/interfaces to another name should
> do the trick.
> NM works perfectly for me (ethernet, ADSL and 3G) but then I've learnt
> not to get in its way by
> changing the 'interfaces' file myself (either manually or using other
> programs like pppoeconf).
> If NM detects that you've changed the file sufficiently then at some
> point it is going to assume that
> you want to manage things and will back off.  (Service not managed).
> Unfortunately this tends to
> leave things in a broken state.

If Ubuntu get things right (from an Apple perspective), then I should be
able to delete the  interfaces file, and it will be restored
automagically to the defaults. However, I not sure if we there yet. You
also say I should rename it, and so it goes, the multiplicity of Linux.
I'll back it up and see if I can make head or tale of what is going on.
Network Manager should be pppoeconf friendly by now, surely?