[ubuntu-za] Lan issues

Chris Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Wed Mar 25 20:07:22 GMT 2009

Hi David,

This is just a friendly private message to you.  I have noticed that you
tend to start a new topic/thread [e.g. Lan issues]  by replying to a
email in an existing thread [e.g. Ubuntu small office server].  This is
termed  'thread hijackiing'  and is  a breach of netiquette.   Amongst
other things, it  mixes up unrelated threads for people trying to
following email discussions in the usual threaded mode.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking and
'Threading'

I also did the same thing until I figured out how to start a new topic
from scratch.  I use Thunderbird but you may be able to figure how to
achieve the same effect in your email client.  Instead of using  the
usual "Reply" button on a message, I right-click the "Reply-To" header
(which is "ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com" for this list) and select the
"Compose Mail To" option.  This starts a new topic instead of replying
erroneously to an existing thread.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I can't help you with your actual problem.  Just out of interest,
is there any particular reason why are you still using Dapper Drake? -
Not that using the latest LTS version (Hardy) will necessarily solve
your problem.

Regards,
Chris