[ubuntu-za] Lan issues

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 26 12:16:25 GMT 2009

Chris Schoonbee wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> This is just a friendly private message to you.  I have noticed that you
> tend to start a new topic/thread [e.g. Lan issues]  by replying to a
> email in an existing thread [e.g. Ubuntu small office server].  This is
> termed  'thread hijackiing'  and is  a breach of netiquette.   Amongst
> other things, it  mixes up unrelated threads for people trying to
> following email discussions in the usual threaded mode.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking and
> 'Threading'
>
> I also did the same thing until I figured out how to start a new topic
> from scratch.  I use Thunderbird but you may be able to figure how to
> achieve the same effect in your email client.  Instead of using  the
> usual "Reply" button on a message, I right-click the "Reply-To" header
> (which is "ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com" for this list) and select the
> "Compose Mail To" option.  This starts a new topic instead of replying
> erroneously to an existing thread.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Sorry I can't help you with your actual problem.  Just out of interest,
> is there any particular reason why are you still using Dapper Drake? -
> Not that using the latest LTS version (Hardy) will necessarily solve
> your problem.
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
>> I recently installed Dapper Drake onto a P111 and this machine is now
>> plugged into my TP-Link router. Only problem is the machine now seems to
>> have my gateway address, so I can't log into router from my own machine.
>> Also, pages like facebook and wordpress are not loading properly from my
>> side and this is thoroughly irritating. How do I resolve the conflict?
>> Any ideas?

sorry  about that, didn't realise I was hijacking anything. will use
your suggestion in future. Reason I am using Drake is its the only thing
that works on a Y2K machine. Compaq 2000 from like the turn of the
century. Runs great. Internet speed is ultrafast and the only thing that
would make it faster is Puppy Linux, so sometimes its not about
progress, but utility and budget. As far as the problem is concerned,
I've tried reinstalling PPPoE and am looking at the dsl-provider file
which might reveal something. I suspect the Drake is configured
differently with 192.168.1.1 as the gateway, while Hardy is merely
getting IP from the Router and futzing it up in the process.