[ubuntu-za] php compiler

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Mar 23 14:55:07 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
Hi Charl,

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 01:12:37 +0200, Charl Wentzel wrote:
> I'm considering using a PHP compiler to compile my web interface.  The
> main reason is to speed up the system as it runs on fairly slow hardware
> (200 MHz ARM and 500 MHz Intel xscale).  My first run will however be on
> an Ubuntu server to see how well it works.

I'm really confused as to why you want to run a PHP compiler?

PHP is no snail, it's pretty darn speedy (there are some general tips to
making sure it's as fast as possible), so I don't see how a PHP compiler is
going to help speed up PHP.

If you're wanting to speed up PHP on a web server, consider using lighttpd
instead of apache. It's an "enterprise grade" web server like apache, but
with a might smaller memory footprint.

(And if you're wanting to deploy standalone applications, I'd suggest
Python or C++)

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
   http://raoulsnyman.co.za/

---------------------------------

I'll gladly explain.

I've got a rather large set of legacy PHP files developed on a fast PC.
However, these now need to run on a very slow embedded device (200Mhz ARM).
Suddenly resources and speed is a real issue.  The fastest way to resolve
it is to compile the PHP to executables and run them as CGI instead.  It
would take to long to convert to another language and test the whole
system.

I also have no choice over Apache which
comes pre-installed on the device.  If I use anything else I first need
to compile it for the platform.

The PHP compiler just seems to be the fastest way to solve the problem,
especially since I only have a day or two in which to solve the problem.

Charl